Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zofran pump: Yes, I get to stick needles in myself...

I got all set up with home healthcare yesterday.  This means a nurse comes to my house and gives me IVs as needed, and taught me to use my Zofran Pump.

The first two bags of IV fluids went well.  The third wouldn't go through, and it turned out my arm had clotted off the IV.  So a nurse came BACK again today to try to re-start it.  After trying in 3 different areas, all with no luck (and lots of bruises), I told her just to give up.  The poking around was actually making me more nauseous.  I'm keeping liquids down, so maybe I can stay hydrated enough.  Hopefully.  If not, maybe my veins will be better tomorrow.  Sigh.  And now the doctors office is mad at me for "refusing treatment", and I get to go in and be lectured tomorrow.

Aside from that, the pump is great!  I've been keeping everything down (and by everything, I mean lemonade, lime sherbet, and frozen waffles).  I even changed out the injection site myself, so I'm pretty proud.  I have a serious needle phobia, so the ability to stick myself is a big deal!

I have to go into work for a few hours tomorrow....wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good youre keeping stuff down!!! So happy! If you can, keep on those liquids, zofran works best when hydrated! Prayung for you love!!!

    ReplyDelete